Time: 60 minutes
- 1 tablespoon + 2 teaspoons wheat germ
- 1 tablespoon ground flaxseed
- 2 omega-3-enriched eggs
- 2 egg whites
- 2 tablespoons fat-free milk
- 1⁄2 cup fat-free cottage cheese
- 1⁄8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon finely chopped fresh tarragon
- 1⁄4 cup shredded reduced-fat Cheddar cheese
- 1 cup chopped cooked broccoli
- 1⁄2 cup chopped mushrooms
- Parmesan cheese (optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Coat a 6-cup nonstick muffin pan with canola oil cooking spray.
2. Combine the wheat germ and flaxseed in a small bowl. Add 1 heaping teaspoon of the mixture to each muffin cup, spreading to coat the bottoms evenly.
3. Whisk the eggs, egg whites, milk, and cottage cheese in a bowl.
4. Add the garlic powder, black pepper, tarragon, and Cheddar cheese and whisk until combined.
5. Stir in the broccoli and mushrooms and divide the mixture among the muffin cups, using 1⁄4-cup measures.
6. Bake 30 to 35 minutes on the middle rack in the oven, or until the miniquiches are lightly browned on top and a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
7. Let them cool in the pan on a rack 5 to 10 minutes; use a knife to loosen the edges from the pan and remove the miniquiches.Serve sprinkled with the Parmesan cheese, if desired.
8. Serve with 1 cup blueberries.