Who doesn’t wake up wishing they could get a delicious, satisfying, and healthy breakfast in minutes? The grocery’s freezer section is bursting with heat-and-eat options, but few are actually delicious, nevermind nutritious. The ALL NATURAL Cedarlane Spinach and Mushroom Egg White Omelette is as the packages suggest: Gluten Free, Low Glycemic, High Protein and Low Cholesterol. Pop it into your microwave oven, grab a fork and indulge. Does this product live up to its healthy promises? Let’s see if it really is Too Good To Be Food.
What’s in it:
Egg Whites, Mozzarella Cheese (pasteurized milk, cheese culture, salt, enzymes), Milk (milk, skim milk, non-fat milk solid, Vitamin A and D), Mushrooms, Spinach, Onions, Feta Cheese (cultured cow milk, salt and enzymes), Rice Flour, Corn Starch, Canola Oil, Salt, Garlic Powder, Onion Powder, Annatto, White Pepper, Nutmeg. Contains: Eggs and Milk.
- Egg Whites exclude the yellow center known as the yolk. When removing the yolk we lose key nutrients but along with that we also lose cholesterol and calories.
- Mozzarella Cheese is a semi-soft cheese that is mild, fresh, creamy and rich tasting. It is a whole milk cheese. Gold star here for real food!
- Milk provides calcium and gives the eggs a fluffy texture. Kudos to Cedarlane for using skim milk, which cuts back on saturated fat.
- Mushrooms, spinach and onions are the next three ingredients. Love the use of veggies in a breakfast treat. ‘Shrooms are chock full of nutrients such as selenium and riboflavin, which protect the immune system, as well as important macronutrients such as vitamin d and calcium. Spinach is a powerhouse green leafy vegetable that provides fiber, folate and a wide variety of antioxidants. Onions are also packed with antioxidants, including allicin, which works as an antibiotic and reduces stomach and colon cancer risk.
- Feta Cheese is a semi-hard cheese made from sheep’s milk. It adds to the calcium content and has a tangy taste.
- Rice Flour comes from milling and grinding rice kernels and grains. It is a staple for those on a gluten free diet. It is a whole grain flour and great source of insoluble fiber, which keeps your digestive system healthy.
- Corn Starch is an ingredient used to control texture and acts as a thickening agent; it’s a highly processed ingredient with few health benefits.
- Canola oil helps to give that yummy, rich flavor without the saturated fat found in butter. This oil has the highest levels of heart healthy monounsaturated fat of any cooking oil – score!
- Salt acts as a natural preservative and is often added for flavor.
- Up next we have a list of spices, most of which may already appear in your spice rack.
- Garlic Powder is made from dehydrated garlic and retains the health benefits of fresh garlic, including antibiotic powers and cancer prevention.
- Onion Powder is a spice made from dehydrated onions. This spice is a source of antioxidants and boasts anti-inflammatory properties as well.
- Annatto is a natural food colorant derived from the achiote shrub. It has a yellow hue and is often used in cheeses and butters.
- White Pepper is the seed of the pepper plant with the dark outer skin removed. It has a milder flavor than black pepper and is sometimes used in lightly colored dishes where black pepper would stand out.
- Finally, nutmeg is a delicious and comforting spice. Studies have demonstrated that it may help lower cholesterol and blood pressure.
Contrary to the average frozen food item, Cedarlane has earned a thumbs up — rare in the frozen breakfast department. This veggie-filled egg white omelet contains real veggies and has an ingredient list of real food. It is a great replacement for a homemade omelet because it has no artificial preservatives or chemical additives. This portion controlled veggie packed meal is one that I would keep in the freezer for those days when the snooze button went off one too many times. It is a phenomenal breakfast choice for morning busy bees!
Saturated Fat: 6g
Total Carbohydrate: 18g
Dietary Fiber: 2g
Protein: 23gPosted on: Jun 24, 2011