- Mixed baby greens
- 4 to 6 shrimp, steamed and peeled
- 2 slices avocado (about ¼ avocado)
- 2 hearts of palm spears (canned in water), sliced
- 1 lemon
1. In a serving bowl, toss greens with shrimp, avocado, and hearts of palm.
2. Squeeze on lemon juice and season with salt.
WHY WE LOVE THIS RECIPE
The little sea crustacean that tops this salad is high in protein with only 1 gram of fat per serving, making it just about everyone’s friend. Shrimp is also loaded with selenium, a powerful mineral known to help prevent cancer and maintain healthy hair, skin and nails. Hearts of palm are one of those veggies that most people, if questioned, have no idea just where they come from! Well, here’s the answer. This nutrient packed silky veggie comes from the core of certain palm trees in the pacific. Similar in texture to artichoke hearts, they are a great way to add both texture and flavor to a salad. Contrary to popular belief, they are also low in fat. One cup of these ivory beauties has less than 1 gram of fat. And, why we really love this recipe? It’s oh-so-easy to make!
Posted on: Aug 8, 2011