- 2 teaspoons extravirgin olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄4 cup chopped poblano or green bell pepper
- 1 teaspoon coarsely chopped garlic
- 1⁄2 cup canned diced tomatoes with juice
- 1⁄2 cup fat-free chicken broth
- 4 ounces boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chopped bittersweet or semisweet dark chocolate
- 1 teaspoon chopped cilantro
1. Heat the oil in a small saucepan over medium heat for about 1 minute. Reduce the heat to low and cook the onion, poblano or bell pepper, and garlic 2 to 3 minutes, or until the onion is golden and the pepper is slightly softened.
2. Stir in the tomatoes and chicken broth and bring to a simmer. Rub the chicken on all sides with the cumin and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
3. Add the chicken to the pan, spooning some of the broth mixture on top. Cover and simmer 8 to 10 minutes.
4. Turn off the heat. Transfer the chicken to a plate, reserving the broth mixture in the pan. Add the chocolate and cilantro to the broth and stir 15 to 30 seconds, until the chocolate is melted and the sauce thickens.
5. Top the chicken with the sauce and garnish with additional cilantro, if desired.
6. Serve with 1⁄2 cup canned or frozen sweet corn on the side.
WHY WE LOVE THIS RECIPE
This sweet‘n spicy chicken and veggie dish is sure to trump your dinner planning woes. Packed with good-for-you nutrients, the moist and delicious chicken breast is not only filling, but low in saturated fat and high in protein. Cumin adds a flavorful, hot kick while providing antioxidants that can eliminate cancer-causing free radicals. The bitter, yet slightly sweet, dark chocolate contains cocoa flavanols that increase blood flow to your skin and may help improve your skin’s appearance and texture. Ole! Mole!Posted on: Jun 27, 2011