Time: 10 minutes
- 3 tablespoons non-fat plain yogurt
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon honey
- 1⁄4 teaspoon gingerroot, grated
- 3 ounces rotisserie chicken breast, skin removed and shredded (about 3⁄4 cup)
- 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon walnuts, chopped
- 2 tablespoons Granny Smith apple, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons red grapes, quartered
- 2 Kirby cucumbers, halved lengthwise
1. Combine yogurt, vinegar, honey, and gingerroot in medium bowl.
2. Add chicken, walnuts, and apple. Mix well. Gently stir in grapes until just combined.
3. Seed and scoop out some of flesh from cucumber halves using a rounded teaspoon or melon baller. Divide chicken salad among cucumber boats.
WHY WE LOVE THIS RECIPE
Not only does ginger give this recipe an earthy flavor, this super spice has our backs in times of trouble. Proven time and again, ginger can decrease nausea, decrease pain associated with migraines, and help settle an upset stomach. Ginger is so powerful you can feel its effects just by adding a dash to any dish, like in the recipe below. Beyond the temporary relief of these minor ailments, research has shown ginger to be an anti-tumor agent in both colorectal and ovarian cancer.
This recipe would not be complete without one very important vegetable: cucumbers! You’ve probably seen ‘em thrown on top of your salad and never gave them a second thought, but they happen to be jam-packed with healthy nutrients. Just to name a few, cucumbers contain vitamin K which helps reduce inflammation, vitamin C that picks up and destroys disease causing free-radicals, manganese which helps build strong bones, and potassium which helps maintain our heart’s rhythmic beat. With this laundry list of health benefits, cucumbers have earned the spot light in this dish, serving as the vehicle for the spicy chicken salad. Don’t just plop them on top of your salad, put cucumbers at the forefront of your meal and make them a permanent part of your Nutritious Life!