Time: 30 minutes
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1 cup almond meal
- 1⁄3 cup turbinado sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1⁄2 cup light buttermilk + additional for brushing
- 2 teaspoons almond extract
- 2 tablespoons safflower oil
- 1⁄2 cup dark chocolate chips or chunks
- 3⁄4 cup frozen dark cherries, quartered
1. Preheat oven to 375°F. Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Combine flour, almond meal, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cardamom in large bowl. Add buttermilk, almond extract, and oil. Mix well, until dry ingredients are completely incorporated.
3. Using a spatula, fold in chocolate chips, then very gently fold in cherries just until combined. Do not overmix.
4. Using generous 1⁄4-cup measures, drop batter about 1″ apart onto prepared baking sheet. Lightly brush surface of scones with buttermilk. Bake 18 to 20 minutes, or until tops are lightly golden brown and firm to touch.
5. Serve with 1⁄2 cup fat-free plain yogurt and 1⁄2 teaspoon honey.